Place of the week this time is Þverá in Laxárdalur, North Iceland by road no 856.
At Þverá is a traditional turf house built in 1849-1851. All of Iceland´s remaining turf houses now belong to our National Museum and are a part of the National Museum’s Historic Buildings Collection.
Þverá turf house has belonged to the museum since 1968 and it was preserved in 1990.
There is an old church at Þverá, built 1878.
This photo is from the church window showing the old turf house at Þverá.
Photo Regína Hrönn Ragnarsdóttir
Þorgeirskirkja (The church of Þorgeir) in North Iceland was erected in the year 2000 on the millennium of the adoption of Christianity in Iceland. Þorgeirskirkja is 45 km east of Akureyri, by the ringroad no 1.
It was built to honour the memory Þorgeir, chieftain of Ljósavatn, who played a crucial role in the conversion.
On his return from the Alþingi after being baptised, Þorgeir is said to have flung his images of the Norse gods into a waterfall, known since then as Goðafoss – Waterfall of the Gods which is nearby.
This photo is from the altar at Þorgeirskirkja with a view over Ljósavatnsskarð. Photo Regína Hrönn Ragnarsdóttir.
Place of the week is Litlibær in Skötufjörður, by road no 61.
Litlibær was built in 1895 an area of only 3.9 x 7.4 metres, the house is made of timber with stone side walls and grass on the roof. There were two kitchen outhouses near by.
Around 20 people lived in Litlibær at one point and the last inhabitants moved out in 1969.
There is a cafe open from May 15th – September 15th from 10.00 – 17.00.